The story below took place on 05/02/2006, when TypePad, LiveJournal, and all the other hosted Six Apart websites went offline. So, what happened ? I'll describe it step-by-step since nobody gave the whole picture.
- bluesecurity is an antispam company.
- I was always sceptical about the companies that do some "anti" work. Including antivirus giants like Symantec.
- bluesecurity uses DoS practices to fight spammers web sites and servers. It involves the community to install and run the client that participates in the attacks.
- The company is located in Israel.
- 05/03/2006 is Israeli independance day (in North America it was still 05/02/2006).
- The spammers fight back organizing a huge DoS against bluesecurity.
- bluesecurity main server goes offline.
- bluesecurity points their www to their Typepad-hosted blog.
- sixapart goes offline together with typepad and livejournal. Since they host all their DNS servers in one LAN.
- Funny quote from the mail discussion linked above: "Hope it stops soon though, a sustained livejournal outage is probably grounds for at least 4-5 suicides by distraught teenagers who can't blog about their day. :)"
Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:53 AM