Let's see where do smart and talented people go ? What are the most attractive activities during the years ?
- In early 80-s it was music: new wave, break dance and rap.
- In late 80-s it was still music: trans and hip-hop.
- In early 90-s it was urban culture, PC boom and the start of www.
- In 98-99 it was all internet and .com bubble.
- From 2002 it is all Tags, Tag clouds, Bookmarks, Feeds, APIs, and networking.
So, let's say I'm there - in the right place at the right time. Why Tags and Bookmarks ?
- I had 1300 posts on one tech forum in 2001-2002.
- I had 3400 posts on .net related tech forum from 2002-2004, but I still visit it and post there from time to time.
- I have 1000 favorites in my Internet Explorer.
- I have 1200 (or more) bookmarks stored in my 3 different mail boxes.
- I have 500 posts on my weblog.
- I use del.icio.us, myweb and reddit.com regulary.
- I use several other services occasionally.
I just feel it necessary to bookmark and tag everything interesting and I always imagine how the overall tag cloud looks like in my head. I'd rather subscribe to the related tag RSS feed in del.icio.us than search with Google (ok, maybe...). The ability to expose tags socially or provide APIs for peoples tag clouds just make me crazy.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:08 PM